Thursday, January 5, 2012

Preventing Injuries

So the biggest warning I get about streaking is to NOT injure myself. And I am really, really, really trying my hardest to NOT hurt myself with this...especially since I'm not just doing this for the Disney Half, but as a valuable and positive habit in my life. A lifelong love. So what do I do before, during, and after my runs?

I start up with some warms ups. My favorites right now are from Jason Fitzgerald at Strength Running. Here's the clip.


And here is the routine:
  1. Walking Deadlifts (Drinking Bird) – 10 reps.  Take a step forward with your left leg, bend down while keeping your left leg fairly straight and touch your left toes with both hands.  Keep your left leg slightly bent and your right leg parallel to the floor. Your right leg and your torso will be parallel to the floor.  Repeat on your other leg.
  2. Knee Hugs - 10 reps.
  3. Groiners – 20 reps.
  4. Donkey Kicks – 10 reps.
  5. Mountain Climbers – 20 reps with legs in, 20 reps with legs out.
  6. Iron Cross - 10 reps.
  7. Lunge Matrix - 2-10 reps per lunge type.
  8. Leg Swings - 10 reps.
  9. Lateral Leg Swings – 10 reps.
I then walk for about 5 minutes at a 3-4 mph pace. After this I'm ready to run!

So AFTER my run I walk another 5 minutes at a 3 mph rate to help cool my body down. And then that's where the real fun starts. The stretching. For like 20-30 minutes afterwards. I will run just to stretch. I love it. I'm addicted to it. Not only will I get a runner's high, I get a nice, loooong and leisurely stretch. LOVE. I will post a video of the various stretches I do in the next few days.

Enjoy your runs...and the stretching...oh, the stretching!

No comments:

Post a Comment