Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pumped Up Kicks

I have the most wonderful parents. Why? The reasons are too many to list (though because they have a fantastic sense of humor, are deeply loving, and are my best friends, just some examples)...so I will just say this: When I sent pictures of my horrendous running shoes as a joke, they went out and bought me an amazing new pair.Yes. I know. Complete surprise and totally welcome. They finally arrived today and yes, it made my day! Hopefully it makes my workouts so much more enjoyable...guess I have to keep running now. Dagnabit!

*NOTE this was written 9/29...it is now 10/2. My computer hates me right now. I'm sorry.

I went from THESE:





To THESE:




Yes. Totally awesome new fancy running shoes. Notice the intact tread? My feet sure do. =)

The weather is FINALLY starting to cool off (though I still maintain it feels more like August than October, but hey, the South is weird that way). At least the bugs seem to be dying. Good.

We took the dogs out on a really nice walk yesterday. Afterwards we wanted to let them loose in the baseball fields across the street from us but there are signs posted prohibiting pets. This is unreasonable for 2 reasons. 1.) They are not our pets, they are furbabies. Okay, no. Really. They are dogs, I understand this. 2.) They NEVER use these baseball fields...they sit empty and lonely and without purpose. So instead of risking a reprimand from security forces, we went behind the houses where there is a play ground and a little loop set back in the field next to the tree line. We let the dogs off their leashes and walked the loop two times. I LOVE our dogs. They are so much better than yours. It's true, I'm sorry. They never stray, they run ahead but stay within a certain distance, they make sure we are okay, they are happy and silly and so much fun. German Shepherds are simply the best. They crashed when we got home.

Last night (while the dogs crashed) we went and saw 50/50. It was actually funny...and there were a couple of moments I wanted to cry (I didn't, but I wanted to). It really made me grateful for my minor problems in life. Ken and I also split a medium popcorn, though by the end of the movie over half the bag remained. Everything seemed fine, I was feeling good and not guilty at all, and the movie trip seemed like a great reward for all my hard work and healthy eating over the past 3 weeks. However, around 2:00 a.m. in the morning...I got ill. Violently ill. I spent the night camped out by my toilet.

Here's the odd thing about eating healthy: Your body becomes addicted to healthy foods, just like it becomes addicted to unhealthy ones. For the past three weeks I have been cramming my body full of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and dairy and my body adjusted to being loved. Last night the popcorn was loaded with butter and salt and my body felt violated and poisoned. I'm sorry body, I should have known better.

It amazes me...I used to be fine eating junk all the time. I guess your body becomes accustomed to being poisoned by excess salt and sugar and chemicals (and yes, I do call it poisoning). At least...I think I used to be fine...but last night was a wake up call. For the past three weeks I have slept soundly through the night. There is nothing odd about this statement except prior to cleaning up my eating habits, I used to wake up 3-4 times a week with horrible heartburn and extreme nausea. Since eating clean, nothing. No midnight throw up sessions. Do you think my diet had something to do with this? I do.

As much as I love eating out...I love feeling healthy more. I love having energy and not being sick. I forsee eating in a lot from now on. Yes, I still live off of shakes but I cook a couple of times a week. This week I'm going to be experimenting with a healthy chow mein recipe and a healthy whole wheat pizza recipe. Mmm...I'm super excited. Though I realize I need a chef's kitchen now. And chef tools. My new wishlist:

1.) Jucier
2.) Food Processor
3.) Pasta Maker
4.) Meat Grinder
5.) Bread Maker
6.) Stand Mixer
7.) Ice Cream Maker

And I really want to learn how to can and preserve my own fruits and vegetables. I guess I will have to grow those fruits and vegetables first. One day, not today. Or this year. Or this Columbus. Our backyard is sand. Like beachsand. Nothing grows in our backyard.

Time to get to work. Stories don't write themselves. Though they should. As a side note, why can't math problems really be about disney songs? I could be a math rockstar.



No comments:

Post a Comment